Listen, I mean this in the kindest way possible, but: You are going to die someday. So am I. So is everyone I love.
And I don’t mean to be negative or cynical, I’m actually telling you this to motivate you. You see, when you remember this absolute fact, I think it might make it easier for you to:
- Quit the job you hate and pursue something else, because that job really doesn’t matter that much (because you are going to die someday)
- Stop hating your body and just appreciate it, because, after all, it’s right there with you, carrying you around, and when you’re close to death and dead, you are really, really not going to care if you had cellulite or not
- Be kind and compassionate to yourself and others, because it doesn’t hurt you to do so, and when you look back on your life, you’ll probably enjoy knowing you did your best to love other people
- Be more patient, because someday the person you’re being impatient with will be dead, or you’ll be dead and not able to be impatient with anyone
- Travel, take up a hobby you feel passionate about, write your memoirs, hug your kids, make a quilt, learn to speak another language, take a woodworking class, start a business, paint your fingernails, dance in your living room, smile, take a leap, look up from your smartphone, take a nap, put down the small stuff, meditate, eat something delicious, or any of the other millions of things you can do while you’re alive
What will you do, inspired by the knowledge that someday you won’t be able to?